If you are looking for a community to land in that is an affordable alternative to pricier South Orange/Maplewood and Montclair, then the Gregory Section of West Orange could be a great option for you. The area is named for Gregory Ave., the main street that runs through the neighborhood, connecting it to South Orange to the south and Montclair to the North. There are two areas of the neighborhood- “Upper Gregory” which is above Gregory Ave. and “Lower Gregory” which is below Gregory Ave.
Although the market for homes in this neighborhood is competitive, the average sale price in this neighborhood is just over $500,000 versus neighboring towns with average prices well into the $600-700,000 range. Here are some recent notable home sales:
38 Burnett Terrace
4 BR 2.1 BA
Sold for $498,500
33 Winding Way
Sold for $567,000
14 Grandview Terrace
Sold for $720,000
Allison Ziefert Real Estate Group’s Jaime Richter is a resident of this neighborhood. She loves that the neighborhood is a walkable area with people out strolling, people walking dogs, moms pushing strollers with young children, or families taking bike rides together. “The ability to be a part of such a great community while still being so close to SoMa is the best benefit of living in West Orange,” says Jaime. “I can go to local favorites such as Harper’s Cafe, Bagels by Jarrett, and many other retail and restaurant establishments within 5 minutes of home,” she notes. Jaime also loves that the area is home to many other Brooklynites and creatives from the city.
Here are some of the top reasons why people love the Gregory Neighborhood:
- Convenient jitney service to South Orange Station for train service to NYC is available and there is express bus service available as well.
- A variety of home styles, including ranches, tudors, colonials and custom homes for every taste and a range of budgets.
- Several schools right in the neighborhood including Gregory and Hazel Elementary Schools, Roosevelt Middle School and Seton Hall Prep.
- The Gregory section is right next door to the South Mountain Reservation, covering 2,112 acres, is a nature reserve that is part of the Essex County Park System.
- The neighborhood is close to Whole Foods West Orange, Dine-In Movie Theater at Essex Green and The Turtle Back Zoo!
- Gregory neighborhood borders South Orange and Montclair, both just a quick drive away, for more dining, entertainment and shopping options.
- The neighborhood is close to major highways, business centers and Newark Airport.
- Local community nights out, like Downtown Thursdays, are held to promote local businesses in the nearby Downtown section of West Orange. Downtown Thursdays is held throughout the summer months and invites residents to explore the four sections of downtown: Eagle Rock, Tory Corner, St. Marks and The Valley, where outdoor activities and some free elements such as food and live music will entertain guests.
- The seasonal farmer’s market, town pool, parks and library are great assets to the community and are very close by.
If you are curious about the Gregory Section or some of West Oranges other wonderful pocket neighborhoods please contact us. We would be happy to show you the ins and outs of West Orange.