As a realtor in Maplewood, NJ, Millburn, NJ, South Orange, NJ and Short Hills, NJ and surounding towns I find that no matter the price range, buyers are looking for the same features. Keep my “Top 10” list of buyer wants in mind if you are planning any home improvements or considering the resale value of a home purchase:
1. An easy location to commute from
2. Walkable to shopping, transportation, schools, etc.
3. Hardwood flooring
4. Newly redone kitchens
5. Newly redone master baths
6. Open kitchen/family room layouts
7. Dry basements-working French drains, sump pumps, back up battery or generator systems
8. Newer heating and air conditioning systems
9. Closet space, especially in the master bedroom
10. Neutral, fresh décor throughout—think Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware, etc.
If you need a Realtor’s two cents on any of your home improvement ideas feel free to contact me. I’d be happy to talk it over with you.