Because it is summer and everyone has slowed down a bit, we thought we would offer you some of our favorite summertime recipes.
This is favorite of my kids and a perfect use for extra ripe, fresh tomatoes. Use any type of pasta you like! It is a simple dish and great paired with a salad, crusty bread and some red wine.
Spaghetti With Fresh Tomatoes, Mozzarella and Basil
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (plus more to serve)
- 1 clove garlic (sliced)
- 1 bunch basil
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 pint sweet cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella (cut or torn into bite-size pieces)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (plus more to serve)
- kosher salt
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Drop the pasta and cook until al dente, according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, preheat a large saute pan over medium heat. Add 1/4 cup of extra-virgin olive oil to the pan along with the garlic, chopped basil stems and a pinch of chili flakes. Saute for 2 minutes, until fragrant. Add the tomatoes to the pan along with a few tablespoons of pasta water. Cook for an additional minute, tossing to coat the pasta. Remove from the heat. Toss in the chopped basil leaves and add the mozzarella, and Parmigiano-Reggiano. Toss to combine and to slightly melt the cheeses with the heat of the pasta.
- Finish pasta with another drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil. Serve with more basil and freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.
After nearly 11 years away from England, I have mostly found American equivalents or replacements for many things that I love. Or I have just given up yearning for some items! However, in the summertime a jug of Pimm’s (to share) is a staple!
There are many different suggestion for how to make this delicious beverage – my preferred method is below.
- You will need one large jug/pitcher and ice
- Fresh mint leaves
- Soda/Sparkling Water
- Chop the fruit into edible pieces – i.e. not tiny tiny cubes.
- Wash the mint and keep the leaves whole.
- Toss fruit & mint into the jug with a large helping of ice.
- Fill a third of the remaining space in the jug with Pimm’s.
- Add soda water and sprite to taste. Depending on how sweet you want it, adding more Spite than fizzy water will achieve this. In the UK our regular lemonade is all we use. I have not found a similar item here and generally just Sprite is too sweet for me.
- Serve in a glass with ice, add pieces of the fruit to each serving and enjoy them as nibbles with your drink!
One of my favorite desserts is one my grandmother made each weekend when we went to visit her and my grandfather in the Bronx. My grandfather was a baker so there were always delicious confections available! This recipe brings back many fond memories of fun weekends around the dining room table when I was young!
Sour Cream Pound Cake
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or lemon extract
- confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Sift flour, baking soda and salt together.
- Cream the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Stir in sour cream and extract.
- Gradually mix in the dry ingredients until well blended.
- Turn into a well greased and floured 10″ tube pan.
- Bake 350° for 1 hour and 25 minutes or until done.
- Let sit at least 10 minutes before removing from the pan (turn cake upside down to cool).
- Finish cooling on a cooling rack.
- When cool, sprinkle with confectioners sugar. Serve with fresh strawberries, blueberries or raspberries and ice cream.
We hope you enjoy our favorite summertime recipes and the rest of your summer!
The Allison Ziefert Real Estate Group is a top producing real estate group based at Keller Williams Mid-Town Direct in Maplewood, NJ. Allison Ziefert, a local market expert, specializes in Maplewood, South Orange, Millburn/Short Hills and West Orange, NJ real estate and homes, and the surrounding towns. Allison’s success as a Maplewood/South Orange realtor is driven by earning great testimonials from sellers and buyers of homes in her marketplace. You can read her testimonials at www.azhomesnj.com/testimonials.