Living In Bloomfield
Bloomfield, NJ Real Estate
Bloomfield Township, known for its charming old-fashioned feel, is located in Essex county, NJ. It is 5.328 total square miles bordered by Montclair and Glen Ridge to the west, Nutley and Belleville to the east and East Orange and Newark to the south. The town, with a population of approximately 47,000 people has all the basic needs of a small town within its borders. Trendy shopping and restaurants are next door in Montclair, and all the shopping, entertainment and culture that Manhattan has to offer is just a short trip away.
Bloomfield is conveniently situated with close proximity to Newark Airport, the Garden State Parkway and the New Jersey Turnpike. From Bloomfield, it is a quick trip into Manhattan and easy access to all points in New Jersey.
The homes in Bloomfield tend to be primarily Cape Cods, Colonials and old-world Victorians built on small lots, but there are also garden apartments and luxury residential complexes available.
The public school system, with 11 schools, serves students in prekindergarten through 12th grade. Bloomfield is also home to St. Thomas the Apostle Parish School which is a Kindergarten – 8th school, and Bloomfield Tech High School, a regional magnet public high school that offers occupational and academic instruction. In addition, Westbridge Academy, a NJ state approved private special education K-12 school for students with emotional, behavioral and learning challenges, calls Bloomfield home. Bloomfield College, a private liberal arts college is also located in Bloomfield.
Average Sales Price 2018: $329,023
Average 2018 Tax Bill: $10,727
To learn more about Bloomfield real estate CLICK HERE to speak with Allison Ziefert.
The commute into midtown Manhattan is quick and easy on the NJ Transit Montclair-Boonton Train Line into Penn Station or on the NJ Transit Bus Line into the Port Authority Bus Terminal. The monthly NJ Transit train fare into Penn Station is $184/mo., and the monthly NJ Transit bus fare into the Port Authority is $167/mo. DeCamp Bus Lines also go into the Port Authority Bus Terminal from Bloomfield. Major highways such as the Garden State Parkway, New Jersey Turnpike, Rt. 80, Rt. 280, Rt. 3, Rt. 46 and Rt. 21 all provide easy access to points throughout NJ.
Parking permits, which are free to residents, are issued for select streets in Bloomfield. Car registration and proof of residency are required before a permit is issued. For more information, call the Bloomfield Police Department at 973-680-4105.
The Bloomfield Public School District: The Bloomfield Public School System serves students in prekindergarten through 12th grade. Eleven schools make up the district:
- Early Childhood Center at Forest Glen (preK)
- Watessing School (K-6)
- Oak View School (K-6)
- Franklin School (K-6)
- Fairview School (K-6)
- Demarest School (K-6)
- Cartaret School (K-6)
- Brookdale School (K-6)
- Berkeley School (K-6)
- Bloomfield Middle School (7-8)
- Bloomfield High School (9-12)
The Early Childhood Center at Forest Glen encourages open communication between the school, the parents and the community, and differentiated instruction empowers each student.
Each of the eight elementary schools recognizes the diversity of the student body while addressing individual students needs. Communication is a key factor in each schools strong academic program.
The Bloomfield Middle school is an active learning environment where family and community input is encouraged and valued. Various teaching approaches and evaluations support the challenging curriculum, and expectations for the middle school students are high.
Finally, Bloomfield High School focuses on each student’s journey towards excellence. Students are encouraged to take the PSAT and SAT for free and to participate in free after-school SAT Prep classes to help them gain admission to the college of their choice. Wednesdays are special days at the high school. Students can meet with teachers in small groups for extra help, or they can participate in school clubs and activities. This schedule is designed to personalize the learning experience and allow students to make choices that they think are important to their education. Twenty-two AP classes are offered along with numerous varsity sports, clubs and activities.
Private and Parochial Schools Near Bloomfield: There are many excellent private and parochial schools in the area. Some of those options are:
- The Far Brook School
- Golda Och Academy
- Kent Place School
- Montclair Kimberly Academy
- The Morristown Beard School
- Newark Academy
- Oak Knoll School of the Holy Child
- Oratory Prep
- The Peck School
- The Pingry School
- Saint Peter’s Prep
- Saint Rose of Lima School
- Seton Hall Prep
Preschools Near Bloomfield: There are also many excellent preschool options in the area. A few of the many options are:
- Early Explorers Preschool
- Foundations Prep School
- Future Generation Early Learning Center
- Love and Learn Preschool
- Middleton Early Learning Center
- Mt. Carmel Guild Preschool
- Olive Tree Day Care Center
- Preschool Learn Time
- Rainbow Montessori School
- Sandy Lane Nursery School
Check out some of these places and websites to get a feel for Bloomfield’s unique vibe.
- Anthony’s Cheesecake
- Binh Duong
- Brookdale Cycle Inc.
- Essex Junction Craft Kitchen & Bar
- Gencarelli’s Bakery
- J.T. Murdoch’s Shoes
- Powerflow Yoga
- Powerhouse Family Fitness
- Roxy Florist
- Senorita’s Mexican Grill
Unique To Bloomfield
- Afro Brazilian Cultural Center of NJ brings Brazil to Bloomfield with classes in Capoeira, Samba, Maculele & Yoga.
- Westminster Arts Center at Bloomfield College creates and presents diverse arts and cultural programs in collaboration with the College’s faculty, staff, students, community partners, and professional arts groups.
- NJ School of Dramatic Arts offers comprehensive acting, musical theater, improvisation and TV & Film training programs for the beginning actor to the working professional.
- Brookdale Park, part of the Essex County park system, spans Montclair and Bloomfield. There are many paths throughout the park, as well as playgrounds, fields, a stadium, a dog park, a rose garden, tennis courts and an archery range.
- Watessing Park, an Olmsted designed park, is located in Bloomfield and East Orange. This 69 acre park boasts a variety of athletic fields, a bandstand, basketball courts, and a senior citizens building.
- Historical Society of Bloomfield Museum brings together people who are interested in history, especially the history of Bloomfield and the neighboring communities.
Other Useful Links:
- NJ Transit
- NJ Department of Education School Report Cards
- South Mountain Reservation
- United States Census